Ballet Arts is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)


  • Located in landmark City Center Theater building in the center of the New York dance community.
  • Steps from Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, and Broadway.
  • One of the largest and most beautiful studios in New York City.
  • An invaluable opportunity for dance professionals or beginning dance students in any genre.

ounded in legendary Carnegie Hall in 1937, Ballet Arts is the oldest privately-owned professional dance school in New York City history! Now located in the landmark New York City Center building on 56th Street (since 1982), Ballet Arts is situated in the heart of the New York Arts District, steps away from Broadway, Lincoln Center, and the Carnegie Hall concert stages. Ballet Arts Center for Dance is steeped in almost a century of American dance theater history. Come be a part of it!

For over 83 years, our school has provided a home to some of the finest teachers in America. The studio has been a place of creation for a number of famous ballets (including Agnes de Mille's RODEO), and a place of rehearsal and practice for many of America's renowned dancers and choreographers, many of whom go on to professional stage careers in the Ballet, on Broadway, and in film and television.

Ballet Arts grand salon studio is the largest privately-operated dance studio in New York City, with a friendly, intimate atmosphere unlike any other.

Starting in 1953, Ballet Arts has been authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students as part of it's F-1 visa program. Classes in all styles and for all levels are offered as part of the study program.

If you are interested in becoming a Ballet Arts F-1 Student, more information is below:

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)

Back to top

As a future F-1 student, you need an I-20 form from Ballet Arts.

  • Fill out the online Student Information Form.
  • Make a copy of your passport
  • *Copy of Bank Statement for minimum of $17,500.
    ($10,300 living expenses and $7,200 tuition for 1 year) Please keep the original to bring to the US Embassy.
  • Send an initial payment of $800.00 in Traveler check to Ballet Arts by Registered Mail. Please make Traveler checks payable to Ballet Arts and countersign them before mailing.
    • $200.00 is for the registration fee (non-refundable)
    • $600.00 is for the first month of tuition (refundable)

Send everything to the below address:

Ballet Arts
City Center
130 W. 56th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10019

* The student must demonstrate that they have enough funds to cover a year tuition & living expenses. The documentation may also come from a family member or acquaintance with a letter of support stating the amount of money available for the support of the student.

Do not make any travel plans at this time.

When you receive your I-20 form from Ballet Arts, sign where it is marked.

To process your F-1 student visa, you will need to make an appointment online at your local US Embassy in your country. Prior to your appointment, you are required to pay the following fees:

  • $200 Visa application fee (for the Embassy)
  • $350 I-901 fee (for SEVIS) |

You must bring the following with you to the interview:

  • Valid passport (minimum 6 months)
  • I-20 form from Ballet Arts
  • Passport photos
  • Bank statement for the minimum of $17,500.

Should your F-1 Student Visa be denied at the embassy, your tuition payment will be refunded. The registration fee is non-refundable.

When your F-1 Student Visa is approved you are now officially a student of Ballet Arts and are ready to travel to the Big Apple.
You may enter the USA up to 30 days prior to your starting date at Ballet Arts, but no later than the start date.

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)

Back to top

Keep all papers with you in your carry-on luggage when coming to study in New York.
When you arrive in the US, and passing the US immigration, you will need to show the following:

  • Passport
  • I-20 form (from Ballet Arts)
  • Customs Declaration Form (from the airplane)
  • All documents you brought to the visa application appointment (bank statement, letters, etc.)

After your arrival, you must report to Ballet Arts within 3 days. Please bring all documents you submitted at the immigration at the airport. You must also bring your local contact information at this time.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact us by telephone or e-mail.
There is Japanese, Korean and Spanish speaking staff available.

This is your home away from home.

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)

Back to top

Ballet Arts is authorized under Federal Law to enroll F-1 foreign students.

If you are interested in transferring to Ballet Arts please call or e-mail for an appointment with Stephen Reed.

Please bring the following items to the appointment:

  • Passport and current Visa
  • I-20(s) from previous school(s)
  • Form I-94 card Arrival/Departure Record I-94 Official Website
  • Initial payment of $800
  • Bank statement of the minimum of $17,500

If you have previously changed your status to F-1 visa, please bring your approval notice.

For additional options we offer please inquire within.


Office Hours

Ballet Arts
at City Center
130 West 56th Street
6th Floor
New York, NY 10019

Telephone: (212) 582-3350
Mon. - Fri. 11:00pm - 5:00pm

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)

Back to top

Ballet Arts Open Certificate Program is a Professional Fine Arts Training Program

he Ballet Arts Open Certificate Program is a 5-year renewable program open for dance students at any level and experience.  No audition is required to apply. This program is open to international and domestic students alike. 

Ballet Arts offers classes 7 days a week in various technique levels and styles. Students may customize classes based on their levels and styles of their concentration, goal and interest. 

Ballet Arts is located inside the historic New York City Center where world class performing artists have performed and trained for many years.   Our open class format provides a space where dance students at various technique levels train alongside professional dancers of all dance disciplines from all over the world.

Program Requirements:

All students are required to attend minimum of 52 classes per month. Most of our classes are 1.5 hours in length.  We offer some 1-hour classes such as yoga, body conditioning and Ballet Barre.  There are also a few 2-hour ballet classes. 

On a weekly basis, students are required to take minimum of ten (1.5 hours) classes and three (1-hour) classes per week. Any 1-hour classes can be substituted for either 1.5 or 2-hour classes.

Weekly classes must total a minimum of 18 hours.

Unused classes or class cards will be void at the end of each month.
Monthly Evaluation and
Tuition Payment:

All students are required to report to the Director once a month at the time of tuition payment for a regular evaluation of attendance and progress. At this time, changes in the student’s program of study may be recommended. Students with poor attendance records may be placed on probation.  

Monthly tuition of $600 must be paid at the end of each month for the following month.
Personal Vacations:

All students in good standing are allowed four weeks of personal vacations each year of their studies.

Travel Arrangements: Students leaving the U.S.A. for any reason must report to the school office with their I-20 at least one week before departure. This is to ensure that the student has their necessary re-entry signature, and all travel documents are in order.  Upon their return, the students are required to report to the office.
Contact Information: It is mandatory that the school has students’ current contact information.  Any changes of home address, e-mail address and phone number must be reported to the school office immediately.
Absences: All students unable to attend classes for more than three days for any reason must contact the school office.
Transferring Out/Leaving Ballet Arts: Students wishing to transfer out or leave Ballet Arts must report to the office with appropriate documents.
Change of Status: Students who changed their status (from F-1 to H-1B, O-1, Green card, etc.) must report to Ballet Arts with the approved government documents/notices.

If these regulations are not met, strict disciplinary action may be taken, which may include possible expulsion from Ballet Arts.  This will result in the student being out of status, and will be reported to the Department of Homeland Security.

Employment for International Students:

F-1 Visa students are not generally eligible to work while they are studying full-time in the United States.  Employment of any kind is a violation of status. Below are the exceptions to that regulation:

On-Campus Employment: 
Ballet Arts does not currently offer on-campus employment or work study to International Students except under rare and special consideration at the discretion of the Artistic Director.

Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT):
OPT is the opportunity to work full-time for up to one (1) year in the dance field after the completion of the program.

F-1 students who completed the BA Open Certificate Program may be eligible to apply for OPT.

To qualify for Post-Completion OPT, the student must have studied at Ballet Arts for minimum of consecutive 4 years and have maintained excellent standing in the Program.  Sessions must be consecutive with absolutely no breaks in between unless the student takes a leave of absence outside the United States. Students must have spent the last twelve (12) consecutive months (without breaks) before the OPT application within the US to qualify for Post-Completion OPT.  Travel during OPT is not advised as Immigration may terminate a student’s OPT if proper documentation is not provided at the port of re-entry. Student must provide Immigration with documentation of employment that includes the student’s name, identification, dates of employment, dates of vacation, date of return, dates of future performances, projects, or work, and the nature of the student’s employment. This documentation must be on company letterhead.

** Student Regulations are subject to change.

(Revised 8-15-2016)

Student Visa Information | Traveling to the USA
Student Visa Information for Transfer Students | F-1 Student Visa Regulations
Student Information Form (Printable Format)

Back to top



Home | Then & Now | New Classes | Teachers | Substitutions | Class Schedule
F-1 Student Visa Program | Studio Perspective | Upcoming Events
Fees & Office Information | Links